Animal Science – Level 6
Animal Science is an advanced course, building on the occupational skills achieved at Level 5. It is a perfect stepup course to lead you to supervisory careers, or onto Higher Education studies.
The course includes a practical and theoretical study of the science of animal health and behaviour for domestic, farm and wild animals. You will also enhance your animal handling skills through ‘hands-on’ practical assignments including advanced grooming and a one-week placement at an agricultural college. Other field trips include Wexford wildfowl reserve, Glendalough, and Tayto Park.
You can progress from this course to a wide range of animal science, veterinary and management degrees. We have many professional links, and you will participate in a wide range of field trips to animal industry contexts.
What Makes This Course Special
- Advanced study
- Highly experienced animal science team
- Detailed ‘hands on’ practical skills and knowledge
- Great professional links including Dublin Zoo, Kildalton College & Tayto Park
- Opportunities for fields trips
- Excellent progression routes
- Animal Behaviour
- Animal Grooming
- Animal Science & Health
- Kennel & Cattery Management
- Large Animal Husbandry
- Wild Animal Management
- Work Experience
Progress to further study and careers including:
- Veterinary Careers
- Animal Health Sciences
- Animal Husbandry
- Animal Shelters
- Animal Welfare
- Animal Grooming
- Boarding Kennels & Catteries
- Pet Shops
- Animal Sales
- Stable Yards
- Stud Farms
- Wildlife Tourism Parks
- Farming / Agricultural Industry
- QQI Level 5 Certificate in Animal Care or Equivalent.
For more info see the page on Standard entry requirements.
- QQI Level 6 Certificate in Animal Science 6M5153
- Manual Handling
- All course fees, from registration to exams and awarding body fees as well as course materials and equipment are covered.
(see costs, fees and finance)
See the Garda Vetting details on the Entry Requirements Page
PLSS Code: 370497
Coordinator: Martina Redmond
Course is subject to minimum enrolment. The programme content shown is indicative and is subject to change according to Awarding Body requirements as well as enrolment and resources.