Gym & Fitness Instructor – Personal Trainer
If you are seeking to build a career as a Gym-based exercise Fitness Instructor, then this course is for you. You will achieve an internationally recognised ITEC award that qualifies you as a Fitness Instructor, and this can lead you direct to work. You will study the theory of principles and practice of Gym and class-based Exercise, Nutrition and understanding the essentials of Anatomy and Physiology while learning with qualified Fitness Instructors in our professional standard Fitness Studio and Sports Hall.
This programme is also underpinned by a QQI Level 5 Certificate in Sport, Recreation and Exercise, that offers you options to progress to Further and Higher Education.
What Makes This Course Special
- Qualify to work as a Fitness Instructor
- Internationally recognised qualifications
- Learn with our highly experienced Fitness team
- Detailed technical and practical skills development
- Outstanding Fitness and Sports facilities
- Excellent progression routes
- Principles of exercise, fitness and health
- Planning and instructing gym-based exercise
- Supporting clients in exercise and physical activity
- Health, safety and welfare in fitness environment
- Sports and Recreation Studies
- Sports Anatomy and Physiology
- Soccer Coaching
- GAA Coaching
- Rugby Coaching
- Work Experience
Progress to further study and careers including:
- Fitness Instructor
- Gym Assistant
- Personal Trainer
- Team Fitness Assistant
- Sports Clubs Assistant
- Fitness and Sports Management
I am incredibly passionate about sport and I decided I wanted nothing more than a career in the sports industry. As a mature student returning to education, I was nervous about the academic challenge. However, my fellow students and my tutors helped me settle in and were always there for advice and feedback. The new, state of the art sports hall and gym really enhanced my experience and I picked up knowledge and skills from all of my modules that I will take forward with me. I am confident now and excited to be progressing on to Athlone IT to study Sports Management. I will not forget my time at Carlow Institute and will credit them as part of my future successes.
- ITEC L2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing (Gym-based Exercise) ISP2C5
- QQI Level 5 Certificate in Sport, Recreation and Exercise 5M5146
- GAA Coaching Award – Foundation Level
- Sport Ireland – Child Safeguarding Level 1
- FAI – Kickstart Soccer Coaching
- All course fees, from registration to exams and awarding body fees as well as course materials and equipment are covered.
(see costs, fees and finance)
See the Garda Vetting details on the Entry Requirements Page
PLSS Code: 371059
Coordinator: Mary Walsh
Course is subject to minimum enrolment. The programme content shown is indicative and is subject to change according to Awarding Body requirements as well as enrolment and resources.