This course is an ideal foundation for careers in the pet and animal care industry, with a special emphasis on setting up your own business. Perfect for entrepreneurial students with aspirations to work in, or start their own, animal care business, including Kennels/Catteries, Pet shops, Dog Groomers, Animal-Assisted therapies to Canine First Responders.
You explore the animal industry in a science-based, hands on and stimulating course covering animal handling, science, welfare and animal grooming. Students learn the practical skills, knowledge and experience required to work directly with animals, including in managing small mammals. You will also learn business skills required for successful participation in industry.
We have many professional links, and you will participate in a wide range of field trips to animal care contexts. This course is a foundation for careers and further study in the animal industry, and there are many progression options, including our own Level 6 Animal Science course.
What Makes This Course Special?
- Hands-on course, with Animal Handling Experience
- Highly Experienced Animal Science Team
- Great professional links
- Opportunities for Field Trips
- Short courses built in such as Canine First Responder
- Excellent Progression Routes, including our own Level 6
- Animal Anatomy and Physiology
- Animal Grooming
- Animal Welfare
- Small Animal Husbandry and Housing
- Business Administration and Skills
- Start your own business
- Work Experience
Progress to further study and careers including:
- Animal Care Roles
- Animal Welfare Organisations
- Doggy Daycare
- Boarding Kennels
- Animal Parks and Zoos
- Grooming Parlours
- Large and Small Animal Clinics
- Pet Shops
- Stable Yards
- Animal Assisted Therapy
After 12 years in the fitness industry, I decided I wanted to go back and learn a new skill, Growing up I always wanted to be a vet.
I was so nervous of being the oldest in the class or out of learning so long that I forgot how to study and retain information, every negative thought you can have as a mature student, went through my head, but from the very first day I went in I just loved it.
Every module in the animal care course was interesting There was a huge mix of all different people in the class and everyone was friendly, and I made lasting friendships.
- QQI Level 5 Certificate in Animal Care 5M2768
- Canine First Responder – Certification of Participation
- Manual Handling
- All course fees, from registration to exams and awarding body fees as well as course materials and equipment are covered.
(see costs, fees and finance)
See the Garda Vetting details on the Entry Requirements Page
PLSS Code: 370216
Coordinator: Martina Redmond
Course is subject to minimum enrolment. The programme content shown is indicative and is subject to change according to Awarding Body requirements as well as enrolment and resources.